Saturday 7 June 2014

Top 5 Toys - petitetoilonrouge

petitetoilonrouge has been collecting toys for fifteen years or so, helped by many years spent in Japan and Greater China. He used to run camiondepompier in Montreal and was too broke to keep any toys for himself. Nowadays, he indulges. A bit too much..

5) Kaws x Pushead Companion by Medicom

"I can’t say I’m a huge fan of Pushead’s art (or Kaws’), but his toys, including the Siamese Captains and the Cococroc, are among my favourite. When I first started collecting vinyl toys, the KvP Companion immediately became a grail. I was terribly, terribly poor then, and even though I got my hands on one at some point, it was cruelly for someone else. Fate was kind and some years later, I found yet another one and it remains one of my favourites even though my collection has grown exponentially. The sculpt and marbled green vinyl are truly unique. There’s an insane amount of detail and is definitely sculptor Cosmo Liquid’s masterpiece."

4) Axeface by Monstrehero

"Another toy I initially missed because I hesitated a minute too long when it was offered to me, I was distraught upon later learning it was a one-off. I had learned of the buyer's identity from the seller though, and when I asked him a few years later if he was ready to let it go, he kindly sold it to me. I love the swirly amber effect of the resin in the axe/beak, and the skull on the back of the figure (not pictured... can I send more than one picture?). Clear toys hold a special place in my heart."

3) Mu Racer by Toygraph

"I picked this up randomly, probably as an add-on to another purchase, and it marked the beginning of my love story with racers... and the end for now since it seems my love is shared by many and my wallet isn't as deep as theirs! I love how the driver looks just so... content! Strolling around on a nice Sunday afternoon, he just happens to be a Mu Diver (whatever these are!)."

2) Sleeping Killers by Gargamel x Bwana Spoons (Koi by Koji Harmon)

"Another story of love and frustration, I first got a lot of those to sell at a store I was running back in the day. Again, I longed to keep one for myself but couldn’t afford it. Years later, it is one of the few sculpt on which I am complete (completism is an ugly disease kids, don’t do it) bar a few micro-runs. In this particular case though, completism feels right. I can honestly say that there are only a handful of versions I don’t deeply love. The Koi, painted by Koji Harmon, is maybe my favourite. It looks so comfortable it makes me want to smile... and nap."

1) Death Star by LEGO

"A crazy huge model which I have now built four times (once per move since I got it?). Its inventiveness, playability (my kids adore it!) and of course the nostalgia it inspires are priceless. Its only problem is its gigantic size. Most definitely not easy to display."

No comments:

Post a Comment