Tuesday 2 June 2015

Top 5 Toys - John Black

Today's Top 5 Toys list comes from Portland artist John Black - you can check out his own toys & zines & goodies here!

"I'm an artist residing in Portland Oregon USA. My toy collecting started at a very young age. My first collections were MOTU and Transformers which I still own. Over the years it has grown into an eclectic mix of vintage sofubi, pop culture inspired vinyl to cheap bootleg plastic toys. I decided to show you my most recent toy inspiration. These are the toys that inspire me to make art, and have huge influence on the toy that I aspire to release in the near future."

5) Freaky Fritz Hateball by Frank Kozik

"I'm kinda obsessed with this toy. I know it's not the newest toy out there but the quality is amazing! I think Big shot studios produced it. The sculpt is crazy! It has a retro vinyl feel to it and the customizable aspect seems unlimited. I got my first set unfortunately though a flipper on eBay. I paid a ridiculous price but I had to have them. I had already missed on 2 opportunities to buy earlier editions because of internet glitches. I mentioned something on Instagram about getting screwed by a flipper and Sharon Kozik actually reached out to me and helped me secure my next set. Great lady! I would buy these in every color released! I'd really love to see a life size or a mask of this! Hint hint Mr. Kozik."

4) Morgogg by Skinner

"This toy makes me feel 12 again! It's a huge piece of finely sculpted vinyl! Designed by Skinner and sculpted by the amazing David Arshawsky. I was lucky enough to meet Mr. Arshawsky at D-con last year and had the opportunity to chat with him about his history and many cool projects that he was working on. Great knowledgeable guy who loves to share his wisdom if you have the chance to sit down with him. I got this toy from the man himself Mr. Skinner! I managed to nudge my way into partaking in some pre Dcon festivities with skinner and a group of other designers. Skinner took us all out to his Van out in some seedy parking garage and proceeded to modestly unveil this beast to the group. The whole lot of us dropped our jaws. I immediately went comatose and oblivious to anything being said. I was mesmerized by this massive piece of plastic. It was just by luck and chance that skinner offered the first one to me out of the back of his van like some crazy drug deal. If you have ever had the pleasure of meeting Skinner you will know what a righteous dude he is!"

3) Bronco Willis by Misty Fog

"I'm a huge fan and collector of anything Le Merde does. His characters are original, funny, and genius all at he same time. He uses pop culture references like no one I know. I feel like his art is extremely underrated and has influenced a lot of modern vinyl and art and resin work that is being released now. I got to pick this piece from his mixed color release. I'm a huge fan of blanks so I asked him if I could just pick one color. This magenta color looked cool to me."

2) Mexican Bootleg Blow mold Lucha Libre toy

"I found one of these at a thrift store in Portland and the other online. These two are my favorite because of there size. They are 12 inch and came with parachutes. I first was introduced to these years ago on a trip to Ixtapa Mexico. I purchase as many as I could fit in my backpack and suit case. I love the cheapness of the plastic and the imperfections in paint sprays. And the simple interpretation of popular culture is perfect! Definitely a huge influence on what I would like to produce."

1) Army of the Apes by Bullmark

"In my eyes this is the perfect toy. Simple design and color can't be beat. The header art is top notch. I'm a huge planet of the apes fan so when I got introduced to this series I was instantly hooked! I still have a few to add to my collection but I'm loving the hunt."

No comments:

Post a Comment