Friday 12 June 2015

Top 5 Toys - Martin Harris

Melbourne based fine artist Martin Harris sent in his Top 5 List this week featuring some classic vintage pieces.. You can definitely see how his collection of toys has influenced his paintings over the years - make sure you check out his artwork here.

5) Wolf soft vinyl toy with real cloth costume made by Bandai (circa early 1960s)

"The wolf is part of a set, which included three piglets, and is extremely rare even in Japan! He is a character from a children’s TV show called 'Boo Foo Woo' produced by NHK-TV (The title refers to the names of each of the three piglets). I don’t know much about the show because it was only screened in Japan. It fascinates me that they have basically taken the theme of the Three Little Pigs and set it in a Mexican styled town."

4) Dr.Seuss soft plastic toy (with attached rabbit fur?) made in Japan for the US market by Poynter toys.

"There were 6 different designs, each with two different colourways. I first bought this exact toy when I was a child, at my local toy store. It was very cheap! But of course at the time I did not realise that these toys were based on several Dr Seuss illustrations, which appeared in Liberty Magazine (1930s?) and were made without a license or approval from Dr Seuss resulting in legal action to have them withdrawn from the marketplace."

3) Okozeruge soft vinyl doll made by Bandai Japan (circa 1973)

"A fish like creature from a TV show, BAROM-1. I love everything about this toy! It was the first vintage toy I purchased. And the most expensive!"

2) Chibull (or Tiburu) by M1-Go

"I first saw this character in an old Ultraseven photo book which a friend of mine had in his collection. It stood out from all the other monsters (kaiju was not what I referred to them at the time as I did not have the knowledge!). I was completely mesmerised and fascinated with it’s visual appearance. Then I stumbled across a book titled SO CRAZY JAPANESE TOYS in 2003. Inside I found a photo of a soft vinyl Chibull! They had actually made a toy of this character. I had to have it! I searched and finally found it via agents in Japan. It was my very first soft vinyl kaiju toy! I was hooked from there on. It opened up a Pandora’s box for me and it felt like I was reliving my childhood with all these exciting new toys to discover. I also realized at this point on that M1-Go was a company I held the highest regard for. They are at the top of the Kaiju tree as toy makers in my opinion!"

1) Camel Train series (and Zoo Choo series) by R&L Australia

"These take me right back to my childhood and the thrill of finding a prized free toy in the cereal box! These were all designed, created and manufactured by R&L in my hometown Melbourne, Australia, and exported to other countries like the US and UK in the early 1970s. Each toy came in packets of Corn Flakes, Coco Pops and other cereals. These made a huge impression on me as a child and I’ve portrayed some of these characters in my paintings. At no more than 3cm in length they are micro size marvels of wonder!"

12 comments:

  1. s there anything wrong with ADULTS collecting TOYS?
    rabbit vibratoren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, U write some extraordinarily attractive blogs. I always check back here frequently to see if you have updated
    toys for women

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! very nice and very informative blog.
    Rabbit Sex Toys

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are certainly a lot of details like that to take into consideration.
    Really Ample Penis Enhancer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another helpful post. This is a very nice blog that I will definitively come back to several more times this year!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! This post couldn't be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my good old room mate! He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this page to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!Penis Rings

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog provided us with valuable information to work with. Each & every tips of your post are awesome. Thanks a lot for sharing. Keep blogging.. choose jamb saws wisely

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very Nice Blog Post for More Information"Have a look at the Krishna soft toys online. Your baby will love the Krishna teddy bear surely.Krishna Soft Toy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very Nice Blog Post for More Information"Have a look at the Buy Monkey With Baby At Best For More infoMonkey with baby

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very Nice Blog Post for More Information"Looking for a turtle soft toy? Look no further. Grab our collection of turtle plush toy now.Turtle Soft Toy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very Nice Blog Post for More Information"Mustard Monkey 25 cm Buy At best from the baby store at Premium quality Free shipping, Cash On Delivery, Easy returnsMustard Monkey 25 cm

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very Nice Blog Post for More Information"Does your baby like tiger soft toy? Gift him or her a tiger teddy bear. Available in high-quality material. Free shipping, Cash On Delivery, Easy returnsTiger Soft Toy

    ReplyDelete