Sunday 13 July 2014

Top 5 Toys - David DeGrand

Super rad comic artist David DeGrand has taken some time out away from his drawing desk to share his Top 5 Toys list with us!

5) Edward Scissorhands Tin Toy by Medicom

"I love this Edward robot mainly for the odd juxtaposition of the retro Japanese robot style and Tim Burton's gothic fairy tale character. Edward Scissorhands was a childhood staple and I've always been struck by his striking appearance. There are tons of other Edward toys but this is just the best."

4) Slimer Shampoo Bottle

"I've been obsessed with Slimer since I was like 5 years old, he's still my favorite ghost of all time. I have lots of Slimer figures but this one's my favorite as it's one of the few from the animated series. Plus his expression perfectly captures his goofy, gross and playful demeanor. I think this was from a shampoo bottle or something like that, making it even weirder."

3) Godzilla by HG Toys

"Now I'm a MASSIVE Godzilla fan and have tons of Godzilla toys, but this bizarre figure from the HG Toys playset from 1979 is my favorite for several reasons: the atomic lime green color, the off-model but killer reptilian design, and his bumpy skin texture make for one awesome tribute to the King of the Monsters."

2) Psycho (Toxic Crusaders) by Playmates

"This dude is from the Toxic Crusaders line and is just an awesome figure design, he has influenced my art also. The green skin, bionic limbs, cyberpunk goggles, multiple chins dripping with God knows what, he's simply a work of art. Another figure I don't think would have been approved for today's youth."

1) Mutagen Man (TMNT) by Playmates

"This is my favorite action figure of all time, and has influenced my art many times. A sentient tank full of floating guts with rotting flesh on his arms, there's no way they would release this toy for kids today. There were tons of amazing Ninja Turtle villain toys (Pizzaface is another favorite), but Mutagen Man is the most crazy and bizarre toy by far. I love it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment