Wednesday 16 July 2014

Top 5 Toys - Josh G.

Sydney based Art Whore blog mastermind and Brain Zaps punk rocker Josh G. sent in his vinyl-specific Top 5 list!

"Well first, I’ve cheated. These are my top 5 soft vinyl toys, not my top 5 toys of all time. I’m OCD as all hell, and can’t just lump all toys in together you know! What about genre, labels, regular release or one off, medium... all those things us collectors stupidly obsess over!!! GAHHHHHHH! Stay tuned for my upcoming top 5 regular release toys, then my top 5 resin toys, etc. IF Glenn will have me back! ;) In the meantime here's my Top 5 sofubi toys.."

5) Yusei Majin by Longneck

"This is one of those toys that not only looks amazing – giant odd tentacled moon men are a yes in my book, but also has a really interesting back tale. If ya don’t know, it’s a tribute to the Ooze It figure from the 1980s, but given a glorious. This version is really soft squishy vinyl. Pink vinyl base with a damn brilliant paint job. Really fun toy to pour slime over..."

4) Mecha Cadaver Kid by Splurrt (painted by Rampage Toys)

"This vinyl toy led to an obsession. Introduced me to the master Joe of ‘Splurrt’ toys, which is a favorite company of mine. Plus it’s painted by a man I call a master of the craft, Jon of ‘Rampage Toys’... I can still remember the moment it arrived in my letter box in deep dark Convict Town: The smell. The feel of it in hand. My brain boggling at a new world I had just discovered.."

3) MOTUKO by Lamour Supreme x Shamrock Arrow (painted by Forces Of Dorkness)

"Is there community in the art toy scene? Yes and this toy to me is a visual representation of that fact. Why? Well here goes... I ended up with a black blank MOTUKO. Naked vinyl scares me though... So I wanted to get it painted... I was chatting with a toy friend from the Sucklord forum who told me about an artist I should check out, Scott Kinnebrew of ‘F.O.D’ fame. Well dear god was I blown away by Scott’s custom work. The man is a master. So I hit him up... The man offered to custom the toy for bloody free! I was blown away. Since then Scott and I have become firm toy-friends. JOY! OCD notes on the custom work by Scott:

(i) the base is wood covered in leather

(ii) Scott added magnets to the vinyl toy and the base for support – sadly all the MOTUKO’s have balance issues.

(iii) hand cut and painted leather cape added

(iv) chain and minion added – the minion is resin"

2) Miclas by Bullmark

"My sis got me this when she was in Japan. It represents 2 things for me: 1) my families reluctant acceptance of my horrible horrible addiction & 2) my very first and thus far ONLY vintage vinyl. I want more now!"

1) NagNagNag by Shigeru (silly additions by Josh G.)

"The disgusting hunk of vinyl that introduced me to the world of art toys about 4 years ago. So lucky to have had my good friend St John grab it for me straight from the hands of Shig himself! Could not resist adding the additions – jacket from an old Master P talking doll, mini ramen from Daiso, and an old sock for a beanie – to create.... *drum roll*.. VietNamVetNag!"

No comments:

Post a Comment