Tuesday 22 April 2014

Top 5 Toys - Luke Ramsey

Canadian illustrator Luke Ramsey sent in a batch of cool toys that most people would pass over without thinking twice. Luke explains why these pieces belong in his Top 5 list below:

5) Spider-Man (bootleg)

"I love how poorly made this toy is. It must be a knock-off. It's super rubbery and moves like jello. The eyes are too small, and why would Spidey be putting his hands up? Isn't that what the crooks do? Not sure when this was made, but it's old and awesome."

4) Ghostling Rags by Tonka

"It's hard to pick a classic 80s action figure. I love my Pantro Thundercat with nunchucks, Hot Rod Transformer with stickers still on, He-Man with sword and chest plate, but for me these classics don't compare with Super Naturals. These toys were messed up. This one with a freaky mummy hologram inside a hooded cloak with gnarly hands. It's a grim keeper."

3) Cosmobile by Matchbox

"This toy car was made in England, which is pretty cool. I grew up in England in the 80s and I remember Matchbox cars being very popular. Their wheels were always solid and the quality was top notch.I love this one because it's old future and the name sums it up. The colours are great, the shape is funny and the two large horns on top are ridiculous. The orange windows are a nice touch too."

2) Car by Kinder

"I'm not sure if this is a Kinder toy. I like to think it is. Kinder is genius for putting toys inside chocolate eggs. Their toys used to be so elaborate and amazing. I love this lil' car. It's simple and the face is really nice for how small it is. I found this inside a tree at a local disc golf course. At the time I gave it to my nephew and he didn't care about it, so he gave it back. He has a lot of cool toys."

1) Cyclops by Toybiz

"I've never been a huge fan of X-MEN and the Cyclops character. Of all the supper powers out there, shooting a laser out of your eyes doesn't seem that great to me.. O.K., maybe it's cool. This toy is from 1991. The toy makers didn't have to go the effort to put a switch in the back that lights up his eyes, but they did! It still works 23 years later. The arms and legs bend too, which adds more quality."

1 comment: